Saturday, July 3, 2010

Independence Day

This time every year I'm reminded of the American Revolution and what absolute guts our forefathers had to have had. The put it all out on the line because they knew what they were doing was right. When I mean they put it all on the line, I mean they could have been hanged for treason and their families killed, had they been caught. So when I hear people say that they're ashamed to be an American or that they feel embarrassed to say so, it kind of hurts. Now I'm not the one to wear a huge red, white, and blue flag for a shirt, but when somebody does, I respect that so much. We still need patriots. So next time you encounter someone who doesn't think it's "cool" to be an American anymore...one of those hipsters (the elderly man in me showing through) try to remind them of the countless men and women who have sacrificed all for you to call yourself one. Be proud for once.

When then congressman John Adams spoke of the severance of America from the crown during the debate for independence he said:

Objects of the most stupendous magnitude, measures in which the lives and liberties of millions, born and unborn are most essentially interested, are now before us. We are in the very midst of revolution, the most complete, unexpected, and remarkable of any in the history of the world.

He is my favorite of them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment