Monday, August 8, 2011

On being stagnant.

I've been searching for a job now for quite some time. I've applied, emailed, called, interviewed (in person and over the phone) and just about done it all. I hate being so still. I cannot sit still and just let my life slowly drift by. It is by our actions how we define ourselves, not some predestined privilege that we are born into. I for the first time in a long time now I do not belong to a group to lead, a school to study in, or even an ensemble to play with. I am stagnant; I have never been so still in my life. I find myself yearning for a score to study, a lesson to form, a concert to give. I have taken for granted some gifts that are given to me. The ability to lead, the ability to inspire others and the ability to perform. Maybe some lesson of humility is to be learned from the past 4 months of my life. A lesson of holding dear those talents and dedications that have been bestowed in my head and never taking the opportunity to share them with others for granted.

 I need to throw a rock in the pond.

3 comments:

  1. Start preparing for the job you don't have yet. By that I mean: write your syllabus for band, write your band handbook, write your warm-ups, chart-out daily routines that your group will do. Figure out all of your band policies now so you can worry about other things when you get hired. Create template lesson plans so you can fill-in-the-blanks when you start teaching.

    I wish I had done more of this when I was looking for a job--I was always "getting around to it," but never got much accomplished. When I finally did get hired, they wanted me to start ASAP, so I didn't have time to get everything prepared before I had to go in and teach.

    You're going to have a lot of stuff stressing you out when you start at a new place- where to live, where to stay until you can find an apartment, moving, meeting teachers, meeting parents, learning about the school, etc. If you can get as much paperwork out of the way now, it will be lots easier to slide into a new gig.

    The best way to view your situation is to pretend that you've already been hired and to start planning for your band.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Mike's suggestion. Also, you might want to consider looking into setting up a private studio. That way you're still getting valuable teaching experience. Even when you get a job teaching in a school somewhere (which you will, soon enough), it would still be a good idea to keep a private studio open, if for no other reason than the fact that it provides you with a different insight to teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much guys. I really like what you both had to say. Now that I was just hired, I wish I had read this sooner!

    Mike: I am definitely going to get started.

    ReplyDelete