Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Unemployed College Graduate

Kerry and I are sitting at home, pathetically and painstakingly networking our way into the public school system. This got me thinking about how bored I am. I'm just sitting at home now, on the couch; there isn't much to do.

I started writing a march this week...who knows when I'll finish it. If I do finish it, I'll need a band to perform it.

My mother is currently in jail (yes, I know...ZOMG Justin Swaim's mother is in jail?!?!?!) and there's no telling what's going to happen to her next. Seems like any type of rehab isn't quite cutting the butter. Seems like she'll be in for a while because we're sure as hell not bailing her out this time.

I came from a good home, a good family. We weren't "rich" but we had everything we needed and [almost] anything we wanted (within reason). I had my first job at 14 years old, which goes to show the values of my parents about hard work and making your own way...they're good people (both Mom and Dad). But, as sometimes happens something went awry in my mother's life...perhaps it had something to do with the divorce. Either way - having an addiction is no way to maintain a family and any sort of meaningful relationship, even if it's with your two sons.

If you know me/my family, you would probably never suspect my mom of being in a prison, but yes I must swallow my pride and say it publicly because I'm tired of keeping it a secret...there are too many incidences over the past few years to mention. All I want for anyone who reads this blog to know is that yes, bad things happen. Bad things happen to good people. What defines those good people however, is how they deal with those bad things that happen to them. I will continue to hold onto faith that one day my mom will kick her problems and come back to her family...who knows ---- a jail cell may be the best rehab someone could ask for.

2 comments:

  1. Believe it or not, J-Sway, I know some bit of what you're talking about. Both my dad and my brother have had to serve time because of their addictions (their poison of choice was alcohol). Dad cleaned up pretty quickly, but the cost was a pretty ugly stain on his criminal record that probably never will go away. My brother, on the other hand, hasn't cleaned up very easily, and yet the only things that will show up on his criminal record are a DUI and a DWI. I often fear that it's going to take something of an extremely heinous nature to force my brother to clean up completely, but I'm hoping that it never gets to that point...

    Anyway, that's my way of reaching out to you, in case you couldn't tell. If you need anyone to talk to who has even a mild idea of what you're going through, you can call on me any time, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man. I really appreciate you're support. I thought that something of this magnitude would really reach my mom but it seems that nothing will. Sometimes it is really hard to realize the Lord's plan with life but I guess that's part of leaning on the everlasting arms. It's all about how much faith you have. I hope that one day she will realize her potential and remember the mom that she was.

    ReplyDelete