Monday, November 22, 2010

Blessed is the man

If you haven't heard Sergei Rachmaninov's Vespers, then I whole-heartidly believe you are missing out on one of the greatest (in my opinion) musical achievements created by any man. Particularly I would like to point out the second and third texts:

the second... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3yAlequsRc

BLESS THE LORD, O MY SOUL, blessed art thou, O Lord.
O Lord my God, thou art very great.
Thou art clothed with honour and majesty.
Blessed art thou, O Lord.
The waters stand upon the mountains.
Marvellous are thy works, O Lord.
In wisdom hast thou made all things.
Glory to thee, O Lord, who hast created all.





and the third... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQTzQpTbr4c

BLESSED IS THE MAN who walks not in the counsel of the wicked. Alleluia.
For the Lord knows the way of the righteous but the way of the wicked will perish. Alleluia.
Serve the Lord with fear and rejoice in him with trembling. Alleluia.
Blessed are all who take refuge in him. Arise, O Lord! Save me, 
O my God! Alleluia.
Salvation is of the Lord; and thy blessing is upon thy people. Alleluia.
Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, 
both now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen.
Alleluia. Glory to thee, O God.


Both of these are some of the most gorgeous pieces that I've ever heard. The second points out the glory and splendor of God. The third glories in the man who is righteous enough to give adequate praise to God. I thought I might share these with you all in hopes that they might bring home those most fundamental values of the human soul. Enjoy them...they are so rarely perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment